Monday, April 20, 2009

Four Corners Is Not

This just in. The only place in the United States that allows you to have parts of your body in four states (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico) at one time - appropriately called four corners - has been tricking you.If you thought you did this trick you didn't.

That is, if you stood on the X at the elevated tourist marking of that boundary. Turns out it is 2.5 miles or so from the actual place. A 2.5 mile error these days is huge. My GPS unit says it has a rate of error of 20 feet. When I post my border way points, I have noticed a fairly consistent error of about that much when I'm trying to track right on a state border.

I have wondered though if that wasn't more due to the large, triangular pointer on the GPS screen itself. Put the way point on the interior cross hairs of the pointer and the actual is slightly off. Put it on the exact tip of the pointer and it is more often than not dead on.

But 2.5 miles off? For a landmark border like this? This deserves looking into. Even older survey techniques couldn't stand that kind of error factor. Somebody is laughing up their sleeve.