Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Borders of Old Men


Old men have all kinds of borders. Since blog experts tell you that statistics and facts are valued by blog readers, I'll even tell you the number: 743. If you're really bored some time (well, you're reading this aren't you?) you can make a list. I don't have to make a list because I carry those 743 in the creases and wrinkles they have etched.

Besides, with old men the what and how many aren't as important as the developed adeptness at moving over and through those borders. When this year started I was going broke. One day later I was on my way to earning my next, albeit small, fortune. My finances haven't changed a lick, nor have my prospects. What has happened is that I have moved through the borderlands, examined the country, reassessed the lay of the land. Borders, when you carry your years right, aren't fences, they are mysteries. Everywhere and nowhere.

I have young women friends all over the world. My wife is okay with that. She likes that I talk with attractive, intelligent women like her. She says it improves my sense of humor and other areas that you don't need to know about. I like it also because it is a way to walk along a social border of monogamy in a mental world of polygamy.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't respond to Fey, who has a picture I can look at and wants to be a friend of mine on Skype. Not because Fey is by all counts really Dlohg from Pitesti but because as an old man I have no borders to cross in that direction. I block Fey/Dlohg. My women friends have been and are all people I want to talk with for hours about what they think and see and do.

Women are inherently more interesting to old men than other old men. I've taken a poll and fully 93 percent of the respondents said yes when asked that question. The other seven percent merely gibbered unintelligibly. But I hadn't yet taken my medication that prevents gibbering. That said, I admit that I did not ask any of my gay friends the question.

One of my women friends sent a concerned email when she read I was going broke and expressed relief that the next day I was back on track. She is living and traveling in Europe. Others sent concerns from Mexico and South America. Old men must be ready to move across many borders, sometimes in many directions at once.

All borders, it can be said, should be open to examination and exploration. I know that because I have, in fact, just said it. Old men who have put their time to good use know how to place their footsteps and make the journey worth taking. And wouldn't it be nice if they died trying?