Friday, January 2, 2009

Mind Border


There are all kinds of borders. I said that yesterday walking in the rain. It is still true today in spectacular sun and winter clouds. And what's funny is the same physical place can be a border for many things. Or maybe that's not so funny as much as obvious. The state I was in yesterday is not the state I am in today though; that I know.

I took the same walk on Grand Avenue that I took yesterday but the terrain was completely different. The grand houses clustering on the north end? Not real. Sure, there is the real-life mansion on the 300 block of Alverson, but Alverson isn't yet Grand Avenue. You don't really get to Grand Avenue until you get to Maulsby Lane. What you run into going south isn't those grand houses I imagined in the mist but a fairly typical mix of middle class houses. And yes, the prices are not what you could classify as middle class but neither is the view - when you can see it.

The photo above is from just about the same place as the one I posted yesterday. See, there is a carrier docked there at Everett Naval Station, the U.S.S. Lincoln. And when you finally reach the Grand Avenue Park across from the late Senator Henry M. "Scoop" Jackson's home it becomes just a rather large white house on the corner of a block with some other rather large houses. They're all nice older houses that you might associate with "old money" but not grand, and certainly not movie or sports star ostentatious. Not fifty bedroom mansions with double that in bathrooms. Maybe more like fifteen bedrooms.

Yesterday I was about to go broke. Today I'm on the edge of remaking my [very small] fortune.