Thursday, July 17, 2008

Planning Another Chunk of Border Traverse - By Horse


Plans are shaping up for what will be the first piece of border traverse by horseback. I'll be riding with a local man through the Naomi Wilderness and Wasatch-Cache National Forest in mid-August. This chunk of the Idaho-Utah border runs about 10 miles between Franklin, Idaho and Bear Lake, which straddles the border.

Planning a traverse by horseback is taking some thinking and planning. When I originally conceived the idea of the Borderlands Project I briefly entertained the idea of doing it all on horseback or with a mule or even llama. Then I read Tim Moore's hilarious Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago, about his traverse of the Pyrenees pilgrim route. Even though Tim ended up loving the donkey in the end, so to speak, it was the proverbial pain most of the way.

I have heard that llamas make great pack animals but I couldn't figure out how to do the endless transport necessary for my approach to hopscotching the borders. Someone doing them will hopefully use them and tell us all how it works out.